STEVE ROGERS, a customer and good friend of ours is challenging the Famous Cape Town Cycle Tour - this week!

The Race:

Originally started 41 years ago, 1977, as revolting cyclists wanted to challenge the Cape Town Department of Transport due to the growth in the city but lack of "safe & efficient" cycle paths. Bill Mylrea and architect John Stegmann, the original engineer's of the movement started by creating: "The Big Ride In". Under the auspices of the newly formed Western Province Pedal Power Association, now called the PPA, it set out to demonstrate that a lot of people within the area cycled and would benefit from having cycle paths. Mylrea, Stegmann along with hundreds road into Cape Town CBD - City Hall and through out the city!

41 years, on the race has developed massively and is now a world wide - famous annual event. It's even the first bike event outside of Europe to be included in the UCI's Golden Bike Series. South Africa hosts some of the largest, by number of entrants, sporting events in the world with three being the largest of their type. The Cape Town Cycle Tour, with as many as 35 000 cyclists taking part, is the world's largest individually timed cycle race. Usually 109 km (68 mi) long, The Cycle Tour formed the last leg of the Giro del Capo, a multi-stage race for professional and leading registered riders. 

The Man with the Plan:

"Thanks For taking the time to read my story;

In 2010 I had a life saving /changing kidney transplant at the oxford kidney unit..so to help them and  to raise awareness of organ donation ..in  March 2018 I will be doing the Cape town cycle race the worlds biggest bike race over 109 kilometres over the hills of cape town and the surrounding coast .. My target time is to be under 4 hours or faster. (90% of money raised will go to the oxford kidney unit to help and support young people with kidney disease or waiting for or have had a kidney or other organ transplant, the other 10% will go to the Red Cross Children's  in Cape Town South Africa to help in the kidney and transplant unit . Thanks to the team at the Oxford hospital and my donor I now live a full and active life. Having gone through kidney failure  before my transplant I understand how difficult it must be to suffer this at a young age .My aim is to raise as much as I can to help young people in a hugely challenging illness and post transplant with recovery and control of the condition through anti rejection drugs ..EVERY PENNY I raise will go to the charity .. thank again .. organ donations save lives , thank you for your donation no matter how much , this cause is very very important to me , thank you "



  • https://www.capetowncycletour.com/cape-town-cycle-tour-history/
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Town_Cycle_Tour

Good Luck Steve, we look forward to speaking to you when your back and seeing how you got on !